The CMAA Foundation envisions a future workforce that is open, inclusive, and committed to the growth and development of the profession.
The CMAA Foundation advances and supports workforce development to support the future growth of the industry, development of research beneficial to the advancement of technological, educational, or vocational expertise in the industry, and education in the construction management profession.
Foundation Scope of Work (Program Areas)
WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT. The Foundation will support workforce development in the Construction & Program Management profession (CM/PM) through the following initiatives:
- Faculty Summer Residencies – This is a program for full-time instructional faculty within the first five years of their academic careers at Associated Schools of Construction member institutions. It provides each selected faculty member the opportunity to work with a CMAA member firm for up to 10 weeks. The objective is to give hands-on insight into current practices in the CM/PM profession that these individuals can then incorporate into their curricula and use to inspire their students to consider careers in the CM/PM profession. This program is managed directly by the Foundation and is supported financially by a combination of Foundation resources and matching funds from those CMAA member firms in which summer residents are placed.
- Grants to CMAA Regional Chapters – The Foundation will provide grants on a competitive basis to qualified CMAA Chapters to support the early stages of developing and implementing a local, summer, student internship program or Rising Construction Manager conference. These grants are limited to start-up activities and will be awarded only once to a chapter within a five-year period.
RESEARCH. The Foundation will support applied and original research that will advance technological, educational, or vocational expertise in the industry through grants to individual scholars or teams. These grants are limited to “seed money” and are intended to support the early stages of such projects.
SCHOLARSHIPS. The Foundation will support scholarships for students pursuing post-secondary degrees and careers in construction management in three ways:
- Endowed Scholarships – Working with individual donors, the CMAA Foundation will establish and steward endowed scholarships (i.e., funds established by donors from which the interest is used to award scholarships). These scholarships will be awarded through a competitive process managed by staff with criteria established by the donor.
- Charitable Gifts to CMAA Chapters – In the event an individual donor wishes to make a major, charitable gift (i.e., a gift above a specified amount) to support scholarship activities within a CMAA Regional Chapter, the Foundation will work with the donor and the Chapter to steward such gifts. These scholarships will be managed by the Chapter’s leadership with criteria established by the donor.
- Foundation Scholarships – This is a program of scholarships funded by Foundation resources and awarded annually through a competitive process managed by staff with criteria established by the Foundation Board of Directors.
How to Donate
You can contribute to the CMAA Foundation now in these convenient ways:
- Donate online directly through CMAA's member portal.
- Donate by mail. Please make checks payable to "CMAA Foundation" and mail to 7926 Jones Branch Drive, Suite 800, McLean, VA 22102.
- With your CMAA membership renewal. Your membership dues invoice includes an option to donate to the Foundation. Simply check the "donate" box on your invoice, and enter the amount you'd like to donate.
- Legacy and asset donation. The CMAA Foundation also welcomes transfers of stocks, bonds or other assets, and provisions in estate plans for gifts to the Foundation.
The CMAA Foundation was formed in 1999 in order to supplement the work of the association through philanthropic activity. From 1999-2016, the Foundation provided scholarship support to students pursuing careers in Construction Management, conducted research to deliver highly informative content, like Future Focus 2012+, the Survey of Owners series, the CM Career Guide, and CMAA’s White Paper series.
You can find links to copies of these materials and others below:
- 2015 Survey of Owners
- Career video
- Value of CM
- Future Focus 2012+
- FMI/CMAA Twelfth Annual Survey of Owners (2011)
- FMI/CMAA Eleventh Annual Survey of Owners (2010)
- FMI/CMAA Tenth Annual Survey of Owners (2009)
CM Career Guide
Interesting in learning what professional construction management/program management is all about, and the potential career paths and education level required? View CMAA's Career Guide.
Contact the Foundation
Email us. Call us at 703-356-2622. Send us mail to CMAA Foundation, 7926 Jones Branch Drive, #800, McLean, VA 22102.