CMAA's Statement of Organizational Values:
Vision: CMAA is the voice of the program and construction management industry and the premier resource for professionals working in the built environment.
Mission: To promote, support, educate, and develop professionals who lead the delivery of programs and projects within the built environment.
Introduction: First approved in 2019, these statements form a Board of Directors-approved document expressing CMAA’s organizational values for both the profession and the association. They are understood as a contemporary expression of CMAA’s historical values and as a foundation for decision making and organizational commitments.
- Role of a Program and Construction Management Professional. Program and construction management professionals are highly trained, qualified, and experienced leaders and advisors who use proven processes and leadership skills to manage, lead, and deliver successful projects and programs.
- Body of Knowledge. Professional program and construction management is rooted in both traditional and emergent project management practices and also requires mastery of a unique body of professional knowledge and interpersonal skills. As the trusted source of best practices, CMAA’s body of knowledge positively influences project and program outcomes.
- Professional Conduct. Individuals engaged in the program and construction management profession are expected to conduct themselves and lead their teams in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and codes of ethics and professional conduct.
- Health and Safety. CMAA is committed to promoting best practices for the health and safety of the workforce and the public and believes a safe work environment is the result of a workplace culture where health and safety is a priority shared by all project participants.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging. Including diverse perspectives on teams and in decision making is essential to program and project success. CMAA promotes diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging with opportunities for all persons in its membership, leadership, and activities.
- Breadth of Professional Engagement. CMAA’s membership and programs are open and welcoming to the widest possible range of professionals engaged in all the disciplines across the project life cycle.
- Continual Improvement. The competence of program and construction management professionals can be continually improved through regular investment in professional development and credentials that are valuable to the recipient, relevant to the evolving industry, and unique to the profession.
- Delivery Method Neutrality. CMAA is delivery-method neutral. CMAA believes program and construction management professionals play a role in advising owners on the selection of a delivery method based on the project’s type, scope, function, and the owner’s capacity, which also supports the owner’s objectives for quality, cost, safety, and time of delivery.
- Power of Collaboration. Collaborative teams composed of individuals working together with common goals and representing diverse and unique perspectives are more likely to make effective decisions and successfully deliver projects that meet program and project requirements.
- Future of the Profession. To ensure a highly skilled future workforce of successful program and construction management professionals, CMAA supports activities that tell engaging stories about the profession, build connections to postsecondary institutions, recruit from other professions, expand the pool of potential candidates to include those with degrees in construction, construction management, engineering, architecture, and other disciplines, use co-ops and internships, improve work-life balance, and foster DEIB in the workplace.
- Environmental Stewardship. Program and construction management professionals guide and aid owners in defining and meeting their organization’s environmental responsibility goals.
Initial Approval, December 18, 2019
Revisions Approved January 27, 2020
Revisions Approved October 28