CMAA's Statement of Values:
Vision: All owners will realize project and program success by using professionally qualified construction managers.
Mission: To promote the profession of construction management and the use of qualified construction managers on projects and programs.
Introduction: In March 2019, CMAA conducted Future Focus ’19 to explore the long-range, “preferred future” for the profession. One of the outcomes of that exercise was a call for CMAA to affirmatively state the values it holds both for the profession and the association. These statements are understood as a contemporary expression of CMAA’s historical values and as a foundation for decision making and organizational commitments.
- Role of a Construction Manager. Construction Managers (CMs) are highly trained, qualified, and experienced leaders and advisors who use proven processes and leadership skills to deliver successful projects and programs.
- Body of Knowledge. Professional construction management is rooted in traditional and emergent project management practices and requires mastery of a unique body of professional knowledge and interpersonal skills to positively influence practices and outcomes.
- Ethical Behavior. Individuals engaged in the construction management profession are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, codes of ethics, and codes of professional conduct.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Including diverse perspectives on teams and in decision making is essential to program and project success. CMAA is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion with equal opportunity for all persons in its membership, leadership and activities.
- Breadth of Professional Experience. CMAA’s membership and programs are open and welcoming to the widest possible range of professionals in the industry, including agent and at-risk CMs, owners, contractors, architects, engineers, developers, financial and management consultants, academics, and students.
- Continual Improvement. The competence of professional construction and program managers can be continually improved through regular investment in people, processes and tools. CMAA’s education and certification programs support individual and organizational improvement.
- Delivery Method Neutrality. CMAA is delivery-method neutral. CMAA believes professional CMs play a pivotal role in recommending the delivery method that supports the owner’s or project’s objectives.
- Power of Collaboration. Collaborative teams composed of individuals working together with common goals and representing diverse and unique perspectives on project delivery are more likely to make effective decisions and successfully deliver projects that meet program and project requirements.
- Health and Safety. CMAA is committed to promoting best practices for the health and safety of the workforce and the public and believes a safe work environment is the result of a workplace culture where responsibility for health and safety of all is shared by all project participants.
- Future of the Profession. To ensure a highly skilled future workforce of professional and successful CMs, CMAA must engage students, veterans, career-changers, and young Environmental Stewardship. Professional CMs are expected to guide and aid owners in defining and meeting their objectives for environmental stewardship throughout a project’s life cycle.
Approved January 27, 2020